Monday, September 22, 2014

Crock Pot Cheesy Sausage Corn Chowder

Daily Dish Magazine Foodie Friends Friday

 When the temperatures turn chilly,
and you have to retrieve your 
hoodies
jeans
slippers
and scarves to stay warm in the house,
that means it's time for soup.
 Johnie and I were raised in the same generation era.
We were raised on soup.
Soup was always a comfort food for us.
When I make soups I go
recipeless
non-recipe
eyes closed
all in with no recipe to aid me.
Johnie loved this soup!
It is for sure a rib-sticking,
warming the soul
kind of soup.

To thicken this soup I made a rue.
Is it illegal to add a rue to soup?
I hope not because I did it.
Please don't call the "using rue wrong" police.
It was wonderful!
And making it in the crock pot.....
sure does save time,
makes the house smell wonderful,
and frees you up for other responsibilities.
This is what I did:

Crock Pot Cheesy Corn Chowder

4 c. hot water
3 TBS chicken soup base
3 red potatoes, chopped small
6 breakfast sausage patties (crumbled with fingers and browned in skillet)
4 green onions, sliced thin, including green tops (threw these in when browning sausage)
2 c. frozen corn
salt and pepper to taste (I did not salt)
A couple shakes of white pepper

Add all the ingredients to crock pot. Cook on high for 4 hours.

Rue:
3 TBS butter
1/4 c. flour
pepper
2 c. milk
1/2 c. shredded cheese (I used the Mexican blend)

Melt butter on med/high in skillet. Add flour, pepper, and whisk. Slowly add milk while whisking. Once the rue is thickened add the cheese. Let cheese melt and then add to the crock pot ingredients.
Turn crock pot to low for one more hour.
Serve in soup bowls and top with fresh sliced green onion.

See Ya'all Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Don't be afraid to leave one.