Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Weekend and Pear Cobbler

 One thing you will find out if you follow this blog closely.....
Johnie LOVES sweet stuff.
And one of his favorite fruits is the pear.
The inspiration for this recipe came from A Night Owl.
I sometimes wonder why the pear is so often pushed aside.
You don't really see much made with pears.
But when I viewed the little peach cobblers that A Night Owl made,
I quickly decided that I was going to put together two of Johnie's favorites.
Cake
and
Pears
This amazing dessert was the ending to our meal on Friday.  
 On Saturday we spent most of the day with Johnie's family.
His son and granddaughters came and ate lunch with us.
Mid day we decided to go out venturing on the bike.
We ended up in Bucyrus, Ohio at the bratwurst festival. 
I tried to get a picture of the endless midway.
Food
Food
Food
German Food
They had everything from bloom'n onions, brats, sauerkraut balls,
to great big bowls of deep fried veggies.
We were in German Food heaven.
Oh and, we can't forget the homemade cabbage and noodles,
and German potato salad,
and German hot dogs,
and cream puffs,
I could probably go on and on...... 
 We made it just in time for the parade.
The parade has got to start with the bratwurst royalty of course.
 Also the "Best Damn Band in the Land" was there.
The OSU Alumni.....
 And the little twirlers.....
I fell in love with their costumes.
Way too cute!!
We just love parades.
 As we were leaving Bucyrus we ran across this old time gas station.
Of course we had to get this caught on film.
There were old-time fire trucks, gas trucks, and police cars on display.
 Uh Oh!!
Johnie's busted!
 As you can see my pear cobblers kind of ran over.
But that's okay.
I sat them on a small baking sheet just in case.
Even though they ran over in the oven they were still fluffy and moist on the inside.
This is what I did:
Pear Cobbler

1/2 c. biscuit mix (Bisquick)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Canned pears in syrup
2 TBS butter

I whipped up some homemade whipped topping by using heaving whipping cream. Just use your stand mixer with whip attachment. Begin whipping the cream (I used about 1/2 c.) and slowly add sugar (about 2 TBS).
I also slowly added about 1 tsp. vanilla. Just whip it to your liking..... Simple!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Add 1 TBS butter to each 1/2 pint jar. Melt in the oven while preheating.
Mix together biscuit mix, sugar, nutmeg, and milk.
Remove the jars from the oven and pour in the prepared biscuit mix. 
I filled mine about half full. By increasing the measurements to half cup amounts I could have probably made four of these.
But I forced my ingredients into two jars.
Maybe that is why they ran over.....
Add desired amount of pears and place back in the oven (on top of a baking sheet) for 40 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Top each with whipped cream, or ice cream, and sprinkle with a little cinnamon.

The batter that ran over the side of the jars was kind of like an extra sweet treat. It was crunchy and sweet.....





No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Don't be afraid to leave one.