Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Weekend of Going Bananas: Peanut Butter Banana Bread

 Yes, you read that right.
44 games of pool on Friday.
We did not see our bed till 6 in the morning.
Johnie grew up playing pool.
He often uses, "My dad always told me.....",
and then he will clear the table.
Me! 
I'm a rookie!
I played some pool growing up but never seriously.
Johnie is taking the time to teach me his little tricks.
I racked 33 games....
So I could probably win an award for fastest racker......

On Saturday.....
We winged the whole entire day.
After 4 strong hours of sleep....
We just took off on the bike with no real destination in mind.
We ended up in the Mount Vernon, Ohio area.
We drove right into a music and arts festival.
From there we went to Heath, Ohio.
We ate at a privately own sports bar, and I do believe it was 
called Big Daddy's Grill.
We didn't really care for the atmosphere,
but the burgers were amazing.
We came back to Marion, Ohio (where we live), 
and we drove right into a car show.
We had to walk the street and look at all the old cars.
To top our Saturday adventure off we stopped at Fred's on Silver St.
to share a huge banana split that was less than $4.00.
 Our day was a little more planned on Sunday.
We are finding out that there is a lot of beauty in Ohio.
Our destination on Sunday was the Mohican State Park.
We spent most of the day there.
We packed Subway subs, chips, and iced tea drinks.
After our picnic we decided to hike the nature trails there.
We hiked six miles on rough 
tree rooted,
stone covered,
steep hill paths.
I don't know where my 51 year old man gets his energy.
I (46) could hardly keep up.
On our way back to Marion we cruised through Ontario, Ohio
with a quick stop at Brown Derby Roadhouse
The Brown Derby has got to be the best steakhouse I have
ever been at.
Their food is top-notch!!
If you're ever in the area you have got to stop and eat there.

We are still focusing on potassium.
And what better way than to make banana bread? 
I gave this banana bread a twist of my own.
 Have you tried the Jif Whips?
I am not too crazy about them.
To smear them on bread just doesn't do anything for me.
But to drizzle them over home-made banana bread....
The whips are awesome!
 All I did was melt a small amount of the Jif Whip in the microwave.
When the bread was completely cool I drizzled the whip over the top.
Banana bread with frosting......
The inspiration for this recipe came from Oh, Sweet Basil.
Give her a visit because she has lots of banana bread recipes.
All tried and true.
Mine turned out perfect.
I did just a few things differently.
Of course, topping it with Jif Whip as one.

Peanut Butter Banana Bread

3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. all-spice
1/3 c. butter, softened
2/3 c. sugar
2 large eggs
an overflowing tsp. of vanilla
1 c. mashed banana
1 c. peanut butter/dark chocolate chips
Cinnamon/sugar mixture to sprinkle on top (about 2 TBS)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a bread pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
In a bowl mix together the baking soda, flour and salt, set aside.
Mix together the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a mixer bowl.
Mash bananas (I used two) in a bowl.
Alternate between the banana mixture and dry ingredients, starting with the dry ingredients first.
Stir in the peanut butter/chocolate chips.
Pour mixture in prepared pan and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mix.
Bake for 50-60 minutes (mine was closer to the 60 minute mark).
Test with wooden pick to see if it comes out clean.
Allow bread to cool about 15 minutes in pan before trying to remove it.
Allow bread to completely cool and then drizzle with Jif Whip.

See ya'all soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Don't be afraid to leave one.