Monday, February 8, 2016

Beer Split Pea & Ham Soup

 Sometimes our kitchen longs for a little something different.
Something crazy out of the norm.
Let me tell you how this craving came about.
My mother's husband was rooting through their fridge like he always
does when we visit.
He searches for food to send home with us.
While his head is buried deep in the fridge he yells,
"Oh my gosh Ang, you should see what I found".
He backs out of the fridge with a deli meat package in his hand.
 "I got these ham pieces for 1.25 a pound".
Then he goes into explaining how they sell them so cheap.
I looked at the package label and said,
"But Bob, that says doggy treats".
"Yeah, yeah I know. But there is enough ham on those shavings
that you could chop them up and use them for beans or something".
"But Bob, it says doggy treats".
I just couldn't get the "doggy treats" out of my head.

What this meat market does is, they trim the hams and put the scraps
in bags FOR DOGGY TREATS.
But I kindly took the bag of doggy treats and headed home.

That is where this craving came from.
I will share the link for the recipe I followed.
I made a few changes of my own.
I found the recipe at Pig and Paint.
As far as the changes:
I chopped up my doggy treats and browned them in about 2 TBS of bacon grease.
I added onion and garlic powder. I didn't have any fresh garlic.
I also added some great northern beans that I had blanched and froze. 
About a cup and a half worth.
Just follow the recipe as printed, or make the changes I did.
Whichever way you choose to make this soup is up to you.
But you have to make it.
It is one amazing soup.

See Ya'all Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Don't be afraid to leave one.