Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Beef & Bean Rival Soup

 First off, let us say 
Happy National Lasagna Day!

I panicked when I found out it was National Lasagna Day.
Johnie is working a double and I was concentrating on
using the leftovers from yesterday's roast.
I heard about lasagna and almost stopped everything I was doing.
But my thoughts went to, 
"There is no way I have time to put lasagna together." 
So I headed to the freezer where we have a huge Schwan's stash.
The Schwan man saved the day.
But I celebrated alone.
The demands of a Corrections Officer are never ending.....
 So while Johnie is at work, I will share this wonderful recipe with you.
I took our leftover roast and potatoes and turned it into soup.
Since the weather here has been like fall I felt soup would be okay.
What I'm going to do is go straight to my notes.
Yes, I write down everything when I'm free-style cooking.

Place in pan:
4 c. leftover broth with chopped beef
I removed the potatoes so they wouldn't turn to mush.
They get added in later.
I added 4 more cups water to the broth
2 TBS beef soup base
I always soak too many beans. 
But that's okay. I will drain and freeze what I don't use.
1 1/2 c. soaked (overnight) great northern beans
A couple shakes of white pepper
Bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer. Cover and simmer until beans
are tender (45 minutes to an hour).
Add potatoes after beans are cooked.
 Now for the rivals:
1 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste (I like a lot of black pepper in mine)
3 large eggs
Mix until flour and egg come together.
 You don't want it too wet.
Bring the soup back to a boil and drop in small amounts
of rival mixture.
I just drop them in by using the fork I mixed them with.
I have known some people to use their fingers and pinch off the 
size they want.
But that can get kind of messy.
Let the rivals cook for a few minutes.
This is the ending result.
A small lite lunch for Angie, and yet hearty enough for Johnie when he 
eats his dinner. Which may be tomorrow......

See ya'all soon.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments. Don't be afraid to leave one.